First Class Delivery Explained (UK Only)
FREE DELIVERY on orders over £8 in value.
£1.20 on orders under £8 in value.
You will most likely receive FREE delivery if you buy just 3 handmade cards.
Orders received before 2pm will be despatched on the same day and should arrive at your door the very next day.
UK orders will be sent using Royal Mail First Class. Royal Mail advise that 90% of first class post in the UK will arrive the following day, unfortunately the other 10% can take between 1 to 3 days.
If you require Express Delivery, your order will arrive at your door before 1pm the next working day. Please note that a signature will be required upon delivery of your order.
First Class Delivery (Europe & ROW)
International orders will incur a small extra charge. You will be advised of this charge via. email requesting a transaction using Paypal in order for your goods to be despatched.
You will have the option to cancel your order and will be given a full refund. A small charge of a few pence may be held by the payment processor (Barclaycard / Paypal).
Your goods will take between 5 and 7 working days to arrive at your destination.
Please contact us for any specific requests you may have as one of our sales member is always willing to help in providing you with a fantastic service.
Security & Payment - PAYPAL
Cardly uses a secure payment system from Barclaycard, where all your information is encrypted as soon as it is entered, that way your details are never seen by anyone and can never be traced.
Payment for all goods must be received in full before your order is despatched. You can use one of our secure ways to make payment, including Paypal, Credit card, Debit Visa, Solo, personal cheque and more.
Orders sent to countries outside the European Union will not be subject to VAT but they may be subject to local taxes and customs charges, for which we cannot take any responsibility.
There will be a small charge of 20p when using Paypal to make a payment.
All prices shown include VAT.
You will receive an automated confirmation when payment has been made. This will be followed by a second email to tell you that your order has been shipped.
If you do not seem to receive the above emails, please begin by adding Cardly’s email address to your address book. Please check your spam filter to make sure the email hasn’t been re-directed to your junk mail. If you still fail to receive any confirmation emails, please get in touch using the details in the Contact Us page.
Please do carry out the above steps before contacting Cardly with any issues regarding confirmation emails.
We offer an immediate cancellation policy - Please read our terms and conditions for more details
We offer a 7 day non-faulty returns policy - Please read our terms and consitions for more details
Terms & Conditions
For further information on Cardly’s liability and details on how Cardly ensures the security of your personal details and more, please click on the ‘terms & Conditions’ link.